>> Wednesday, March 5, 2008
The other day we were having a potluck and I wanted to make something different that I never tried before. I was just browsing and came across this wonderful recipe by Sanjay Thumma in www.vahrevah.com. Me and my husband watched it together and he wanted to taste that very soon. I decided to prepare that and it turned out well. A little time consuming, but worth the preparation. I varied the method according to my taste. Here my recipe goes :
Potatoes - 4 big
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Cashew Nuts - 6-8
Milk - 2-3 tbsps
Onion - 1 big
Oil - 1-11/2 cup for deep frying
Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2tsp
1. Soak the Cashew Nuts in milk for about 20mins.
2. Take the potatoes, wash them, peel them and cut them into half. Now scoop off the inside of the each half of the potato. Be careful the sides and the bottom of the potato is not cut. Scoop off all the pieces. Keep the shells and the scooped stuff aside.
3. Now take the scooped potato in a bowl and boil it for 10mins until its soft. Drain the excess water, see it to it is dry mash it well.Then add salt, garam masala, chilli powder, cut green chillies, chat masala, coriander and mix it well. Keep this aside.
4. Meanwhile in a heavy bottomed vessel, take the oil ( oil level should in such a way that, the potatoes are immersed in the oil), and when its hot, add the potato shell's one by one slowly and deep fry them. See to it that the inside of the potatoes are also cooked. This may take 5-7mins. Press lightly on the potato to check if they are done. Don't press them too hard, otherwise they may break.
5.Once they are deep fried, take them out and place them on a paper towel. Put them upside down so that any oil left in the shells is drained out completely. Keep them aside till they cool.
6.Now stuff in the mashed potato paste into the potato shells and keep them aside.
7. Now take the soaked cashew nut along with milk and 1 cut tomato in a blender and blend them to a fine paste.
8. Take a wok, add some oil and when oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. When they start to crackle, add the finely chopped onions. Add turmeric and when the onions turn transparent, add 1 chopped tomato. Keep on stirring until the tomatoes are mashed up completely. Now add the chew nut-tomato sauce and cook it covered for sometime(2-3mins). Now add all the spices, garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and salt. Once the raw smell goes off, now add the stuffed potatoes one by one slowly into the sauce. Keep stirring now and then and cook it covered for sometime. Cook for not more than 10mins as the potatoes are already cooked. Finally garnish with chopped coriander.
You can eat this with jeera rice or parathas of your choice.